Home >> World

Key Paris terror attacks suspect Abdeslam planned more attacks: official

Belgium's foreign minister said Sunday that Salah Abdeslam, the key suspect in last year's Paris attacks, has reportedly revealed during interrogation that he was planning more attacks while hiding in Brussels and had access to modern weapons.

Key Paris terror attacks suspect Abdeslam planned more attacks: official

Abdeslam had claimed that "he was ready to restart something from Brussels, and it's maybe the reality," Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said.

Reynders gave credence to the suspect's claim because "we found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons in the first investigations, and we have seen a new network of people around him in Brussels."

Abdeslam was captured in a police raid in Brussels on Friday and was charged with "terrorist murder" on Saturday by Belgian authorities. He is a prime suspect in the November 13 attacks in Paris that claimed 130 lives.

A senior Belgian police office said that Abdeslam was wounded during the raid. He added that the officers shot Abdelsm in the leg as he ran toward officers outside an apartment in the Molenbeek neighborhood.

The head of Belgium's special federal police unit, Roland Pacolet, told broadcaster RTL that they were also trying to know whether the suspect wanted to commit suicide.

"When someone comes out running toward the police, we have to ask ourselves some questions. What did he have in mind? What was he going to do? Either he wanted to get killed by the police, or he wanted to blow himself up near the police," Pacolet said. He added that Abdeslam was unarmed.

Addressing security experts at a German Marshall Fund conference in Brussels, the foreign minister said "we have found more than 30 people involved in the terrorist attacks in Paris, but we are sure that there are others."